Alternatives to a GP Appointment
NHS Choices Symptom Checker helps guide you on how to deal with your symptoms.

Find the most appropriate symptom checker from those available  and work through the on-line assessment. You may be given information on self care or advised to contact NHS 111, your GP or other service.

If appropriate, you may be guided to call 999 in cases where symptoms indicate a medical emergency.
Self Treatment

If you are unsure or if your symptoms do not improve or get worse ring NHS 111, consult a pharmacist or contact the surgery or NHS Walk-in centre. In the case of medical emergency, dial 999.
Many minor ailments and self-limiting illnesses can be dealt with at home or by visiting a pharmacist for advice. You can find things out on-line and if you are unsure about what to do, contact the NHS 111 service by dialling 1-1-1. 

It is necessary to sometimes err on the safe side and seek early qualified medical advice - especially in the case of vulnerable patients such as the elderly and very young. However, where ailments do not raise concerns, to help get a better service when you need it,  you could consider an appropriate alternative to a GP appointment .
Welcome to talkhealth
talkhealth is one of the UK’s leading online social health communities, providing FREE interactive support and information on a wide range of health conditions and subjects. It is a platform for you to ‘have your say’ on current health issues and a place to find in-depth and trusted information. talkhealth allows you the opportunity to take control in decisions concerning your health and wellbeing in a positive way.

The NHS Choices website offers a vast resource of health information and advice to help you make informed choices about your health and health services. Use the search facility to find self-help groups for a variety of diseases and conditions. Also you will find some links on the Signposts page on this website
It is much better to keep yourself healthy rather than fall ill and need medical care, so look after yourself:
Eat a healthy balanced diet.
Avoid or stop smoking.
Don’t drink excessively.
Take regular exercise
Keep to a healthy weight.
Reduce or avoid stress.

Men: perform regular examinations of the testicles.
Women: have regular cervical smears and check your breasts regularly.

Eat less sugar and fat and drink less alcohol.
Eat more fibre, more fish and white meat.
Eat 5 portions of fruit or vegetables a day.

Men can drink up to 21 units a week.
Women can drink up to 18 units a week.

A unit = ˝ pint of beer = Pub measure spirit - Pub glass of wine = Small glass of sherry.


It helps to reduce weight.
It helps to reduce stress.
It makes you feel and look better.
Once you have found a form of exercise you like do it often enough - two or three times a week for 20-30 minutes. Hard enough - to make you fairly breathless. Long enough - it must become part of your life for good.
REMEMBER: If you are not used to exercise, start slowly and build up gradually.
A man aged 50 who smokes 20 a day is four times more likely to die from heart disease than a non-smoker of the same age.
Lung cancer kills 38,000 people a year in the UK.
It makes your children ill (twice as likely to get ear and chest infections).
Please ask at reception for any advice you require on the items listed above.
GRAZES, CUTS, BITES AND STINGS usually do not require medication attention, simply clean with water and apply a clean, non-adherent dressing for a need to be stitched.  However, at first, clean as above if possible and then apply firm pressure over the cut for 15 minutes without disturbance with a clean dressing. By this time the bleeding will have stopped.  If the wound still bleeds or gapes seek medical attention.


However severe a burn the immediate need is to remove the cause, then cool the area by dowsing the skin with cold water for 10 minutes.  If the skin is intact or only slightly blistered, cover with a dry dressing and treat as for a graze.  If the skin is broken or the burn is larger in area than an adult hand, seek medical advice.


Any blow to the head which causes the following, needs medical attention.  Unconsciousness or fitting vomiting, double or blurred vision, speech difficulty loss of use in limbs or excessive drowsiness.


Anyone swallowing an overdose of drugs or any other chemical should get advice from a doctor immediately.  Advice should also be sought if any unknown berries, etc are taken.

The advice above mainly applies to healthy older children and adults.  In the case of infection and strains and sprains if there is no improvement after 3 days it may be worth seeking advice.  Children under 6 months, the very old and those suffering from a severe disease should see a doctor sooner.
Any person suffering from fever, vomiting and headache, all at the same time should see a doctor urgently.
Health Conditions A-Z

Use these on-line tools to get more information about common conditions - including childhood ailments. If unsure contact NHS 111 by dialling 111. Or you can contact the surgery, NHS Walk-in Centre or Pharmacy
Link Emergencies
Link to Prescriptions
Link to Appointments
Link to Newsroom
Link to Opening Hours
Website Menu
Website by Media Fizz DIGITAL - Syndication partners with NHS Choices.  Copyright 2015.
Orchard 2000 Medical Centre
480 Hall Road

Telephone: 01482 347600 / 01482 347601

Bransholme South Health Centre
Goodhart Road      Bransholme

Tel: 01482 344184
Fax:01482 344189
We do not share information with third parties. Neither Media Fizz Limited or the practice is responsible for content of or safety in visiting third party websites. It is the responsibility of the visitor to ensure that their system is protected against security threats and viruses.